NEF Consulting works with organisations to build their capacity to understand and measure their impact and evolve their activities: to prove and improve.
We help organisations to prove and improve the value of what they do so they can make better decisions and deliver better outcomes for their customers, clients and communities.
We draw on a range of approaches and tools developed by NEF Consulting and the New Economics Foundation including:
- Social Return on Investment (SROI) – an analytic tool for measuring and accounting for a broad concept of value by placing social, environmental and economic returns into a common financial metric. It measures the change that has occurred from a specific activity on a range of stakeholders.
- Social Cost-Benefit Analysis (SCBA) – introduces the concepts of social value and environmental sustainability to cost-benefit models.
- Multi-Criteria Appraisal (MCA) – an appraisal technique that accounts for the role of economic, social and environmental factors in decision-making. It does not require monetary valuation of social and environmental outcomes.
- Local Multiplier 3 (LM3) – a simple and understandable way of measuring local economic impact. It is designed to help people think about local money flows and how their organisation can practically improve its local economic impact.
Case studies and examples of projects in which the following methodology (or its principles) has been useful:
Clients and sectors
We work with charities, foundations and trusts, as well as public sector agencies, government departments, local authorities and FTSE 350 companies.
Within the private sector we have worked with organisations within the built environment (including construction, estate management, planning and cities), retail, tourism and finance. However, our expertise is applicable to any organisation wishing to build their capacity to understand and measure their impact and evolve their activities: to prove and improve. We can not share examples of all our work in the sector due to client confidentiality but our work has included:
- A ground-breaking project with The Crown Estate to calculate the total environmental, social and economic footprint of the estate, its supply chain and the activities of its customers.
- A review of the impacts over 30 years of British Land’s development at Regent’s Place in London.
See examples of clients, and our work for them, on the Clients page.
Examples of work by sector: