For more than three decades, the New Economics Foundation’s mission has been to transform the economy so it works for people and the planet. We work with people igniting change from below and combine this with rigorous research to fight for change at the top. We do this through:
- Policy and research
Producing original, rigorous and creative research, and developing policy solutions shaped by the lived experience of those at the sharp end of the old economy.
- Transforming local economies
Supporting practical, on-the-ground projects that devolve power to communities, and improve wellbeing and sustainability.
- Campaigns and organising
Working alongside people, community groups, activists and organisations to build a movement for economic change. Find out more on our main site.
- Our consultancy services
Helping organisations to think differently about environmental and social impact, and how they collaborate, interact and make decisions.
Working with other organisations, NEF aims to create a new economy that works for people and within environmental limits.
Consultancy approaches and tools
In our consultancy work, we draw on a range of approaches and tools including:
- Social Return on Investment (SROI) – an analytic tool for measuring and accounting for a broad concept of value by placing social, environmental and economic returns into a common financial metric. It measures the change that has occurred from a specific activity on a range of stakeholders.
- Social Cost-Benefit Analysis (SCBA) – introduces the concepts of social value and environmental sustainability to cost-benefit models.
- Multi-Criteria Appraisal (MCA) – an appraisal technique that accounts for the role of economic, social and environmental factors in decision-making. It does not require monetary valuation of social and environmental outcomes.
- Local Multiplier 3 (LM3) – a simple and understandable way of measuring local economic impact. It is designed to help people think about local money flows and how their organisation can practically improve its local economic impact.
We work with local government, combined authorities, and other local community leaders to develop transformational strategies. We work with charitable foundations, unions, professional bodies and other socially responsible organisations to ensure social, economic and environmental value is at their heart of their strategic decisions.
See examples of clients, and our work for them, on the Clients page.
Examples of work by sector: