The UK and most of the world’s economies are increasingly unsustainable, unfair and unstable. From climate change to the financial crisis it is clear the current economic system is not fit for purpose. We need a new sustainable economics that can deliver for people and the planet.
The New Economics Foundation is the UK’s leading think tank promoting social, economic and environmental justice. For more than three decades, the New Economics Foundation’s mission has been to transform the economy so it works for people and the planet. Working at the heart of a growing ecosystem of organisations and institutions, NEF aims to create a new economy that works for people and within environmental limits.
Through NEF Consulting, the New Economics Foundation helps organisations in the transition to a new economy. We enable them to flourish by highlighting the relationships between social, economic and environmental factors and organisational performance. We help them to think differently about environmental and social impact, how they collaborate, interact and make decisions.
NEF Consulting draws on the Foundation’s tested research and applies innovative approaches to help organisations develop better outcomes metrics and make better decisions.
Organisations who work with us:
- Develop an understanding of value for money that includes social and environmental outcomes alongside economic costs and benefits.
- Integrate social, economic and environmental measurement into their culture to support the long-term sustainability of their activities and investments.
- Prove the value and improve the effectiveness of what they do.
- Understand and manage their impact on their own employees and on local and global communities.
We enable them to do this through:
- Strategic consulting and impact evaluation services.
- Training on the use of tools and methodologies.
Our unique approach is based on 5 principles:
- Holistic: a holistic approach to analysis considering social, economic and environmental challenges and opportunities and valuation of ‘intangible’ social and environmental impacts.
- Place-based: clean transition-proofed local strategies.
- Long-term: embedding longer term thinking into decision-making.
- Appropriate scale: connecting different scales of production into strategy.
- Co-production: working with a wide range of stakeholders to co-produce strategies with people and businesses, built on analysis of their needs and assets.
About New Economics Foundation
NEF aims to create a new economy that by 2040 works for people and within environmental limits. We do this by:
- Working alongside people, community groups, activists and other organisations to build a movement for economic change.
- Producing quality, challenging research and new, creative thinking.
- Supporting practical, on the ground, projects that improve wellbeing and sustainability.
The New Economics Foundation has pioneered ideas and practices including: co-production, local money flow analysis, social return on investment, ethical investment and social auditing. It has also given birth to a range of new organisations to carry on its work, including the Jubilee 2000 Debt Campaign, the Ethical Trading Initiative, AccountAbility, Time Banking UK, the London Rebuilding Society, the Community Development Finance Association and the New Economy Organisers Network.
In the last few years, the Foundation has:
- Pioneered co-production and asset-based community development in the UK.
- Innovated community and early action agendas of local authorities.
- Built a grass roots network for economic, social and environmental justice.
- Developed a new vision for UK coastal towns.
- Embedded democratic engagement in devolution.
- Delivered successful Community Economic Development (CED) programmes.
NEF Consulting draws on the Foundation’s tested research, specific instruments and influential personnel. We integrate wellbeing measurement and social valuation into the realm of cost-benefit analysis and hard economic evaluation.
NEF Consulting adapts the Foundation’s ideas, and applies innovative approaches to help organisations develop better outcomes metrics and make better decisions.