The New Economics Foundation is the UK’s leading think tank promoting social, economic and environmental justice.
For more than three decades, the New Economics Foundation’s mission has been to transform the economy so it works for people and the planet. We work with people igniting change from below and combine this with rigorous research to fight for change at the top. We do this through:
- Policy and research
Producing original, rigorous and creative research, and developing policy solutions shaped by the lived experience of those at the sharp end of the old economy.
- Transforming local economies
Supporting practical, on-the-ground projects that devolve power to communities, and improve wellbeing and sustainability.
- Campaigns and organising
Working alongside people, community groups, activists and organisations to build a movement for economic change. Find out more on our main site.
- Our consultancy services
Helping organisations to think differently about environmental and social impact, and how they collaborate, interact and make decisions.
Through its consultancy services, the New Economics Foundation helps organisations in the transition to a new economy. We help them to think differently about environmental and social impact, how they collaborate, interact and make decisions. We enable them to do this through a wide range of strategic consulting services, support and training.
Our consultancy approach is based on 5 principles:
- Holistic: a holistic approach to analysis considering social, economic and environmental challenges and opportunities and valuation of ‘intangible’ social and environmental impacts.
- Place-based: clean transition-proofed local strategies.
- Long-term: embedding longer term thinking into decision-making.
- Appropriate scale: connecting different scales of production into strategy.
- Co-production: working with a wide range of stakeholders to co-produce strategies with people and businesses, built on analysis of their needs and assets.
About New Economics Foundation
NEF aims to create a new economy that by 2040 works for people and within environmental limits. We do this by:
- Working alongside people, community groups, activists and other organisations to build a movement for economic change.
- Producing quality, challenging research and new, creative thinking.
- Supporting practical, on the ground, projects that improve wellbeing and sustainability.
In the last few years, the Foundation has:
- Pioneered co-production and asset-based community development in the UK.
- Innovated community and early action agendas of local authorities.
- Built a grass roots network for economic, social and environmental justice.
- Developed a new vision for UK coastal towns.
- Embedded democratic engagement in devolution.
- Delivered successful Community Economic Development (CED) programmes.